Monday, April 2, 2012

Variety is the spice of fights

And the biggest fight of all is peanut butter v. almond butter....

Which tastes better?  Well, veggiesluts, pale-hoes, regardless of where you are in your lifestyle choices, I've come to the conclusion that almond butter wins.

Almond butter won in about round 8. At first it wasn't so yummy. I was historically obsessed with natural peanut butter. I could go through a jar of that shit in half a week.  Then yesterday, I ate a bit of peanut butter and bleeeeckkkk....

I was turned on to almond butter by my primal buddies.  Their reasoning for eating almond butter is because it's un-processed and paleos don't consume legumes due to the fact that in their natural state they aren't edible. Totally get it, makes sense--totally don't even give a fuck what anybody's reasoning is because almond butter is so magnificently yummy. In fact, I personally believe everyone should be scarfing this down until they shit almond meal. Almond butter is superior in taste.  Why have I not been eating this sooner?!

Of course, I am totally breaking all the rules since my almond butter isn't raw; it's dry roasted unblanched almonds by Woodstock. It's unsalted and full of pieces of heaven. A bit crunchy, a bit smokey. I could write a freakin' sonnet about it.  It's yummy on a pear, it's the perfect addition to my morning green-protein smoothie, it's best in 3 tbsp being shoveled down my throat.

Here are some other health benefits of almond butter
1) Chock full of monosaturated fats, which reduces cholesterol, and helps protect your heart <3
2) Lowers blood pressure. If  #1 happens, # 2 tends to happen. Additionally, almond butter has minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium which work as a unit to maintain healthy blood pressure
3) Helps control blood sugar levels
4) Has lots of antioxidants...vitamin E and flavanoids
5) Helps with weight control...people who consume nuts are less likely to be overweight than those who don't.
...So studies have shown...although with my blissful over-consumption, I'm bound to pack it on.

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try this. I still enjoy my Jif on a piece of bread from time to time and have used cashew butter in recipes, but haven't tried almond butter yet. Sounds yummy!

    I hope your stomach's doing better... Things have been going well for me. I've tried many new things and had a good time learning to cook. I'm excited about recreating a vegan shrimp cocktail recipe, with cauliflower instead of shrimp. I had it the other night at a potluck and it was totes delish.

    I'm also practicing recipes for the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale later this month. Not exactly healthy, but still vegan and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try out this vegan shrimp cocktail recipe. If you can share the recipe, or point me to the website, that would be great!

    So what recipes have you been practicing? I haven't done the vegan baking thing too much, aside from a tofu mousse which didn't work out so well. Check out maplespice.com for amazing vegan recipes. She has these hot cross buns on there that look delish!

    My stomach is a lot better; thank god for probiotics! Glad to hear that you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the recipe for the cauliflower cocktail: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/mar/recipes.htm

    I just took a trip to Asheville, where they have lots of vegan eats, even a fully-vegan restaurant which was so enjoyable to just be able to pick ANYTHING on the menu without worrying. I had fun photographing just about every stinkin' calorie I consumed, which you can check out here http://bit.ly/IJZOht.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And those hot cross buns look amazing. Drool...

    ReplyDelete