Saturday, January 7, 2012

How much spinach does it take to ruin a smoothie?

So, I took the plunge. I made the commitment to go vegan for 30 days. I tried committing last year, but ditched it last minute. I was most likely too influenced by others as to "where in the world would I get my protein?" I think I was convinced that I would die if I went vegan--or completely eat bags and bags of vegan tortilla chips and blow up like Pavorotti.

For the last few years, I've been a committed vegetarian, feeling pretty good about my decision. I knew that I was making an impact by not eating animal flesh, but I didn't realize what goes on in the egg/dairy world. But you don't need me to tell you, go educate yourselves.

Exploration and new friends led me to actually believe that there are ways to (gasp) get protein without meat/dairy/egg consumption--and so now here I am, only a mere 4 days from day 1 of my challenge. Can I do it?  Can I really live without the chocolate I shove in my mouth daily?

Hence the blog. I can't eat if I'm typing right? Wrong. I'm eating now. Anyway, I'm hoping that this blog keeps me accountable about my commitment in the vegan challenge.    Holy shit, I have no idea what I'm going to eat, but I'll figure it out.  Every sunday there's a vegan meeting/support group where we're going to get together and talk recipes, go grocery shopping, and whatever the hell else a vegan support group does. Someone asked if "dreadlocks and patchouli" were a pre-requisite to joining. I'm just glad to be with peeps who love animals as much as me!

In preparation, I've starting making almond milk, banana, frozen blueberry smoothies with protein powder (it's whey protein, shut up, the challenge doesn't start yet and I've got vegan sunwarrior protein on the way in the mail to me) and have been adding spinach. I'm basically trying to find the number of spinach leaves it takes where the smoothie tastes like shit, and then I'll minus 1 leaf.

To sum it up Einstein style,
Smoothie=1 banana + 1/2 cup almond milk + 1/2 frozen blueberries + 2 scoops of protein powder + (the minimum number of spinach leaves it takes to ruin a smoothie-1 leaf.)

In case you're wondering, I'm up to 12 leaves.

stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment