Sunday, January 15, 2012

Vegan Pledge Days 7&8: You down with TVP? Yeah, you know me.

Last night I was too tired to write, so I'm combo-ing days. We had a dinner date with a couple at Birchrunville Cafe. Knowing that the menu was basically all game meat, I called ahead to let them know about my dietary restriction.  At first they said that they couldn't really accommodate me and I was probably only going to eat a plain salad and some veggies (shocker). 


Fast forward to the night of: my dinner far surpassed my expectations.  Their idea of accommodation was fantastic: I had a light pear, walnut, spring mix salad drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette.  My entree: delicious artfully plated vegetables, including a cherry tomato/diced squash medley, mushroom crepes, broccolini, and green beans sauteed in olive oil and garlic, with pistachios.  My description is far from doing it justice. 


The couple at my table scarfed down their ostrich (vomit) and rack of lamb (puke) and I could tell that they were down with OPP, and wanted a taste of my meal. After all, it was pretty and perfect.  And the added bonus of being vegan, instead of the $30.00 entree, mine was $10.00.  HELL YEAH, cheap and yummy. 


Today was our 2nd Vegan Pledge meeting (or as a friend has termed it--vegan church). The hubs shared with the group that he has never felt healthier & doesn't crave meat. His digestive system has calmed down and all stomach issues that he regularly experienced have disappeared.  Now he just deals with constant shitting.  


Today, I ate something called TVP--and it was pretty darn good! It's defatted soy flour and contains 12 grams of protein per serving. Now, I wouldn't eat this on a regular basis, since it's processed and soy is a food that can be a digestive allergen (and I should know b/c if I take in too much, I have issues), but for a once in a while meal to please my non-vegan family and friends, not too bad.


Taco-licious
1 cup of TVP                              taco shells
1/2 white onion                           guacamole
1 TBS garlic                                salsa
2-3 TBS of Mexican spices         lettuce
1 bouillon cube
1 can of black beans
1 TBS oil


1. Cook TVP according to packaging with a cube of bouillon in water (super easy and quick)
2. Saute the onion and garlic in skillet
3. Add the TVP once onion is translucent
4. Add the spices according to your taste
5. Once TVP looks ready, add beans and stir


Keep moving the TVP mixture moving until it's brown and dry looking.


Now move on outta here. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember TVP well from my veggie days. Not saying it will happen to you but that honeymoon ended quick. Keep getting after it.

    ReplyDelete